Tanzania: party leader
LocationDar es Salaam, Tanzania
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Internews is looking for a party leader for a media strengthening program in Tanzania funded by USAID and Swiss cooperation. The program aims to support an open and inclusive environment in which the media and civil society provide accurate and unbiased information that promotes participation, inclusion and accountability in Tanzania. One of the main objectives of this activity is to engage and empower women and youth to raise their voices, influence and issues in the public sphere as producers and consumers of information. The program also supports community radio stations to improve their capacity and financial sustainability so that they can serve as credible sources of information and platforms to give greater weight to local voices.
The Chief of Party provides strategic direction and leadership for Internews’ program in Tanzania; coordinates technical, legal and professional capacity building assistance for partners and beneficiaries; ensures adequate supervision of the personnel, financial management and administration of Internews; and coordinates with other media actors in the region to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication and complements other media development initiatives. The Party Leader is also responsible for building strong partnerships and dialogue with appropriate donor representatives and the Tanzanian government. They will be based in Tanzania on a full-time basis for the duration of the program.
Internews has a national office in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Ultimately, this role will be based in Tanzania.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find international recruitment solutions that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the details of the offer for a position will depend on several factors, and the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based on the candidate’s location and where the position is. hiring.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so applicants are encouraged to apply early.
This is a time-limited position, with an expected end date of July 31, 2023.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven people who are passionate about our core values and committed to supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity and justice for all. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage applicants of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities and national backgrounds to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAILY TASKS will include:
- Provide leadership, management, representation and operational oversight of Internews programs in the country;
- Provide overall program oversight, including program management, personnel management, strategic vision, budget management, fiscal integrity, quality and timing of deliverables, coordination with partners, and recommending adjustments to program if necessary to keep the project on track;
- Assume supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organizational policies and applicable laws;
- Oversee the implementation of sub-grants and act as the main contact person for Internews with international and local sub-grantees;
- Oversee in-country program monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and measure the impact of activities;
- Monitor and report on project progress and activities against work plans on a monthly and quarterly basis;
- Assume human resources management responsibilities, including interviewing, hiring and training of staff and consultants; plan, assign, direct and supervise work; and handle complaints and resolve issues;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner organizations, including media and civil society organizations, and ensure that implementation meets the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Ensure that programs comply with all rules, requirements and regulations regarding grants and cooperative agreements, as well as Internews internal policies and procedures;
- Act as the main budget authority for the programs, with responsibility for ensuring that all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and properly allocated;
- Accept fiduciary responsibility for all funds advanced for the purposes of the project;
- Maintain regular contact with Internews HQ staff to communicate programming progress and resolve upcoming issues in advance;
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of media and freedom of information in the country;
- Lead fundraising and development activities to advance and enrich in-country programming; and
- Across all functions, demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to Internews core values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Advanced degree (Masters or above) in media and communications, international development, rule of law, social sciences, management or related field
- 10 years of progressively responsible experience in media development, including working with media organizations and senior program management experience OR 10 years of senior level management experience in design, implementation and management of programs of similar size, complexity and scope
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience in establishing and maintaining productive working relationships with an extensive network of institutional partners and stakeholders, including host governments
- Experience with USAID and/or US Government funded programs
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Fluency in Swahili and ability to represent the program in meetings with partners and government officials in Swahili
- Relevant experience in Tanzania or East Africa preferred
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated mentoring skills and experience supervising and supporting senior executives
- Experience in fundraising and developing innovative program concepts
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment both virtually and in person, including with colleagues in different time zones
How to register
To apply, please send a CV and possibly a cover letter via our careers page.