The service – currently available for sneakers, watches and handbags on eBay – will extend to trading cards over $750 in the US.
SAN JOSE, CA., January 25, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — eBay today announced the launch of its Authenticity Guarantee trading card service. From now on, unrated unique trading cards (including trading, sports and non-sports trading card games) sold for more than $750 in the United States will be authenticated. By mid-2022, the service will expand to include scale, autograph, and patch cards sold for over $250. With the addition of trading cards to eBay’s authenticity guarantee service, the company now offers authentication in four key categories for avid collectors, including sneakers, watches, handbags and now trading cards. collect.
As one of eBay’s main categories, trading cards have grown at a significant rate – reaching $2 billion transactions in the first half of 2021. With an average of one sports trading card purchased every second, Authenticity Guarantee now brings an additional layer of trust to these transactions – as well as unparalleled access to complete and accurate information about products for collectors.
“Our trading card business has grown over the past six years, and the recent increase speaks to the immense cultural significance of the category,” said dawn block, vice president of collectibles, electronics and home at eBay. “As hobbies turn into investments, authentication services in high value categories have become a priority for collectors. With the introduction of the Collectible Card Authenticity Guarantee, we are giving enthusiasts exactly what they want, while continuing to improve confidence in the market.
The Authenticity Guarantee, an industry first for trading cards in size and scale, ensures accuracy so enthusiasts can buy and sell with confidence. As the service expands to include trading cards alongside handbags selling for over $500, sneakers selling for over $100 and watches selling for over $2,000, eBay is further bolstering the market as a trusted destination for buying and selling high-value items.
eBay is continually listening to its growing community of collectors to ensure the marketplace delivers what enthusiasts want and need. Offering collectors even more options and flexibility, the Authenticity Guarantee follows the introduction of state-of-the-art tools Price guide and collection and Image scanningwhich the company launched in 2021.
Authenticity guarantee for trading cards: how it works
When a service-eligible collectible card purchase is made, the seller ships it directly to a team of third-party authenticators in the Certified Collectibles group – including its affiliates, CGC Trading Cards and Certified Sports Guaranty (CSG) – for a one-time physical inspection. Following this rigorous evaluation, the card is sent via expedited shipping to the buyer or seller. Details on the trading card authentication process include:
- In-depth inspection: Referring to a large database, the authenticators inspect the general condition and general quality. The overall condition of each card is checked against the auction listing description to ensure accuracy and authenticity.
- Authentication proof: The e-tag has a unique QR code that is attached to the card’s protective packaging. The packaging is then placed in the card holder to finalize the process, reaffirming confidence in the collection and resale value. Scan the QR code on any mobile device to learn more about the card and its authentication journey.
- Verified Returns: For sellers who choose to offer returns, eBay’s Trading Card Authenticity Guarantee service ensures that the exact item originally sold is returned to the seller, through a verified returns process. Returns are sent back to the Authentication Center, where authentication experts check each item and its condition before returning it to the seller.
Buy trading cards at ebay.com/authenticcards and learn more about eBay’s authentication offer for watches, sneakers and handbags at ebay.com/buyauthentic. For more, follow the conversation with @eBay at instagram, Twitter, ICT Tac, Youtube and Facebook.
eBay trading cards by the numbers
- eBay’s trading card category is growing much faster than the overall market.
- Trading cards in the first half of 2021 hit $2 billion in transactions – equal to ALL of 2020.
- To date, nearly 4 million cards purchased on and off eBay have been added to customer collections.
- Additionally, nearly a quarter of a million shoppers have used the Price Guide tool in search to view trends in their favorite trading cards.
- In 2020, a sports trading card was purchased every second.
- GMV growth of top collectible cards by categories (H1 2021):
- Tennis – 1797%
- Soccer – 852%
- Pokemon – 536%
- Wonder – 437%
- Golf – 436%
Source: Figures based on eBay US from January toJune 2021 sales data.
eBay Inc. (Nasdaq: EBAY) is a global commerce leader that connects millions of buyers and sellers in more than 190 markets around the world. We exist to create economic opportunity for individuals, entrepreneurs, businesses and organizations of all sizes. Founded in 1995 in San Jose, California, eBay is one of the world’s largest and fastest growing marketplaces for discovering great value and unique selection. In 2020, eBay enabled more than $85 billion of the gross volume of goods. For more information about the company and its global portfolio of online brands, visit www.ebayinc.com.